Before you buy Zetia online
What Is Zetia?
Zetia is a white tablet produced by Merck & Co. The medical remedy is based on ezetimibe agent and intended for treating high cholesterol levels. In some cases, it’s prescribed in combination with other medicaments that lower cholesterol, such as Zocor (statins group) and Tricor (fibrates group).
Is It For Me?
Indications for Zetia using include hyperlipidemia (pathologically high levels of cholesterol and / or lipids in the blood), familial hypercholesterolemia (genetic ailment causing high cholesterol), and sitosterolemia (rare inherited disorder). The mentioned conditions are linked with atherosclerosis processes, cardiovascular ailments, stroke & heart attacks. Treatment with the medicament is especially important for persons who have already had a heart attack. Zetia helps to cut the risk of this cardiovascular event recurrence.
As any other medical remedy, Zetia has some counter indications:
- hypersensitivity (intolerability) to any ingredient of the drug;
- using the medicament simultaneously with statin by persons having active liver ailment or an unexplained persistent elevation of the level of hepatic transaminases (a sign of liver ailments);
- using the medicament by persons suffering from severe hepatic insufficiency;
- simultaneous treatment with fibrates, as the mutual effect of ezetimibe and these meds hasn’t been studied.
How do I choose the right dosage?
The advised dosage of Zetia is 10mg once daily. Combined therapy implies the use of 10mg of the medicament once a day, together with statins/fibrates, in compliance with healthcare professional’s recommendations for using the prescribed statin/fibrate.
Don’t take increased/decreased dosages of the medicament without consulting an awc canadian healthcare expert.
How do I take Zetia?
- Take Zetia according to a healthcare expert’s recommendations. You should take the medicament orally with water. Zetia may be administered simultaneously with statin or fibrate medicaments.
- Try to use Zetia at the same moment in a day. This schedule will serve as reminder that you have to take the medicament. Regular taking of the medicament is very important for successful treatment.
What are the mechanisms behind Zetia?
Zetia has unique principle of action compared with other medical remedies of this kind. Ezetimibe (the key agent of the medicament) works in the intestine preventing the cholesterol substances absorption.
Such an effect leads to a decrease in the delivery of cholesterol from the digestive system to the liver, thereby reducing cholesterol content in the liver, increasing the excretion of cholesterol substances from the blood, minimizing the level of "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and improving rates of "good" one (HDL).
Ezetimibe neither enhance the excretion of bile acids nor inhibit the production of cholesterol by the liver. In addition, it doesn’t influence triglycerides’ rates. You can reduce your levels of triglycerides by using the medicament simultaneously with statins or fibrates.
What is Zetia uptake time?
Peak concentration of Zetia in the blood serum is observed in 4-12 hours after administering. The medication acts at the time when food products containing cholesterol enter the intestine. The maximum effect of the medicament (LDL reduction and increasing HDL) is achieved two weeks after the start of treatment.
Fatty food products, such as cheese, vegetable oils, and nuts, don’t influence the absorption of the medical remedy. Therefore, you can use it regardless of your meals without worrying about the fact that the desired effect may worsen.
How efficient is Zetia?
Zetia provides good effect. According to research of Nutescu EA et al. (2003), the medicament leads to 15%-20% LDL reduction, and 2.5%-5% HDL boosting. Zetia’s effect is additionally improved when it is used in combined treatment with other anti-cholesterol medicaments .
Does Zetia have any side effects?
Adverse effects, which should be given special attention during the treatment with Zetia, include change in the level of liver enzymes, as well as rhabdomyolysis (dissolution of skeletal muscles) and muscular weakness.
Zetia can also lead to other adverse events:
- arthrodynia (painful sensations in the joints, not dependent upon structural changes);
- infection processes in upper respiratory tract (the most widespread adverse event occurring in more than 4% of patients);
- dyspeptic symptoms (affects around 4% of patients);
- sinus infection;
- pain in the hands & feet.
Combined therapy (Zetia + other anti-cholesterol medicament) can lead to such undesirable effects as inflammation of upper pharynx, muscular weakness, infections of upper respiratory tract, pain in joints, and dyspeptic syndrome.
Any essential tips on Zetia use?
- If you want to achieve the maximum results from taking the medicament, combine its application with the proper diet providing low content of saturated fat & cholesterol. Also, do physical exercises on a regular basis. Stick to a weight (fat) loss program if you have obesity.
- Grapefruit or other products based on grapefruit (juice, smoothies) increase the concentration of the active substance of the medicament in the blood. This can increase the risk of adverse events. Therefore, don’t eat a large amount of grapefruit when undergoing treatment with the medical remedy and avoid consumption of this fruit too close to Zetia administration.
- A lot of people having elevated cholesterol rates don’t feel sick. Do not quit taking the medicament even if you feel quite well. If you missed taking the medicament, stick to your usual schedule of treatment. Don’t ingest double dose in one go to avoid provoking side effects.
Store Zetia at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Zetia out of the reach of children and away from pets.